POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Occam's razor Final version : Re: Occam's razor Final version Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Occam's razor Final version
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 1 Jun 2007 15:30:02
Message: <web.46607362888891eb967442d60@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
> > Oh yes!
> > With the starry background and the strict symmetry, it reminds me of 18th
> > century utopian engravings.
>
> 18th century utopian engravings? what are these?

As Thomas appears to be otherwise occupied, I'll have a go at this before
dashing off for the weekend.  He can always post a correction if I miss the
mark.

18th Century Utopianism, in general, refers to the works of those
philosophers who actively advocated the creation of a new political and
social order in which the transfer of power from a privileged ruling class
to the people would result in a new era of reason and enlightenment...
< and these were the SMART people - a wonder human race has survived :o) >
As is usually the case among philosophical types, there is no universal
agreement with regard to whom ought to be included as a "Utopian", but John
Locke, Immanuel Kant And Jean Jacques Rousseau are usually listed among the
prime suspects.  George Washington and Thomas Jefferson are listed in the
"known associates" file.

To make a long story short, (TOO LATE!) The attachment of these folks to
ancient Greek democratic precedents led to a connection between the
movement and neoclassical aesthetics.  Crisp, clean images of monumental
edifices were often used to symbolize the onward march of reason, progress,
etc.  Masons, Rosicrucians and other such folks who are often talked about
at really good parties, but almost never invited to them, were particularly
fond of such symbols.  Links to a few examples follow:

http://www.bremertonpropertysales.net/EngravingAllegoryMozart.jpg

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/0e/180px-Olympians.jpg

http://anomalyhunters.com/cradle/J%20B.jpg

....and an oldie, but a goodie: